In Demon Slayer Kakushi (隠かくし) are members of the Demon Slayer Corps who work as attendants. To conceal their identities, they wear black versions of the standard Demon Slayer uniform consisting of a gakuran jacket, hakama pants, and a blackhead covering. [Hakama are a type of traditional Japanese clothing]
Kakushi are Demon Slayers who have retired after being injured. There are also individuals who did not pass the Final Selection examination but became Kakushi anyway to remain useful to the Demon Slayer Corps.
The Kakushi are a group of warriors responsible for various tasks, ranging from providing services to Corps members to cleaning up the battlefield after Demon attacks.
Some of these tasks include:
- They serve as attendants of the Butterfly Mansion, offering assistance to residents and those recuperating there.
- They clean the mess usually left behind after a large battle.
- Sewing and repairing the uniforms worn by Demon Slayers.
- Transferring people from and to Swordsmith Village.
Have we ever seen a Kakushi?
Yes, we’ve seen them many times.
- At Episode 21 or Chapter 44 we saw Goto.
- Also a female Kakushi requests permission to enter the Butterfly Mansion.
- Kakushi transporting Tanjiro after Rengoku’s Death.
Goto belongs to the Kakushi, the Demon Slayers’ clean-up squad. He was once considered worthy of becoming a Demon Slayer, but for reasons unknown, he decided to become one of the Kakushi instead.
In the aftermath of the Entertainment District Arc, he is said to have found near-dead Tanjiro Kamado, Inosuke Hashibira, and Zenitsu Agatsuma.
As a result of their capability and bravery, Goto has great respect for Tanjiro, Inosuke, and Zenitsu.
Despite being bedridden from the Events of the Entertainment District, he shows thoughtfulness by delivering castella to Tanjiro.