Hell’s Paradise: Jigokuraku (Japanese: 地獄楽, Hepburn: Jigokuraku), written by Yuji Kaku, is a popular manga series that began serialization on Shōnen Jump+ in January 2018. The series has a total of 127 chapters, which were collected into 13 tankōbon volumes by Shueisha between December 2020 and April 2021. The English version of the series, published by Viz Media, was released on March 17, 2020.
The story follows Gabimaru, a ninja sentenced to death, and Yamada Asaemon Sagiri, an executioner, as they search for the elixir of immortality. The series is set in the Edo period in Japan, and it explores themes of life, death, and morality.
In addition, an anime television series adaptation by MAPPA is set to premiere in April 2023. Fans of the manga series are eagerly anticipating this adaptation, and it will be interesting to see how the anime brings the story and characters to life on screen.
Hell’s Paradise: Jigokuraku Wiki
|Genre||Action, Dark Fantasy, Psychological Thriller|
|Manga||Written by Yuji Kaku, Published by Shueisha|
|English Publisher||Viz Media|
|Original run||January 22, 2018 – January 25, 2021|
|Volumes||13 (List of volumes)|
|Anime television series|
|Directed by||Kaori Makita|
|Written by||Akira Kindaichi|
|Music by||Yoshiaki Dewa|
|Licensed by||Crunchyroll and Netflix|
Hell’s Paradise: Jigokuraku Plot
The story of Hell’s Paradise: Jigokuraku takes place in the Edo period of Japan, where a group of death row criminals is sent on a mission to find the elixir of immortality on a mysterious island known as “Horai.”
The main protagonist is Gabimaru, a ninja who was trained to kill from birth and is known as “Gabimaru the Hollow” for his lack of emotions during his work. He is joined by Yamada Asaemon Sagiri, a master swordsman from the Yamada Asaemon family of executioners, who recruits Gabimaru for the expedition after seeing his talent and strong will to live. The other group members include Yuzuriha, a self-centered female ninja, Aza Chōbei, a leader of a gang of bandits, and several Yamada Asaemon executioners.
As they make their way to the island, the group faces numerous challenges and battles against various dangerous creatures and enemies. Along the way, they uncover secrets about the island and its inhabitants, including a mysterious little girl named Mei, who seems to have a connection to the elixir of immortality.
Throughout the series, Gabimaru struggles with his past and his desire to live a normal life with his wife, while the other characters face their demons and desires. The story also explores themes of life, death, and morality, as the characters question the value of immortality and what it truly means to live.
As the group gets closer to finding the elixir, they face even greater challenges and betrayals, leading to a dramatic and action-packed conclusion.
Hell’s Paradise: Jigokuraku Characters
- Gabimaru: The strongest ninja from Iwagakure who was trained to kill from birth. He is known as “Gabimaru the Hollow” for his lack of emotion during his work, except for his love for his wife. He was set up by his comrades and captured.
- Yamada Asaemon Sagiri: A master swordsman from the Yamada Asaemon family of executioners. She recruits Gabimaru for the expedition after seeing his talent and strong will to live. Sagiri is ranked last, 12th, in the Yamada Asaemon hierarchy.
- Yuzuriha: A self-centered, female ninja on death row, who is known as “Yuzuriha of Keishu.”
- Aza Chōbei: A death row criminal and leader of a gang of bandits in Iyo Province.
- Yamada Asaemon Tōma: The executioner assigned to Chōbei. He infiltrated the Yamada Asaemon to free Chōbei, who is his older brother.
- Tamiya Gantetsusai: A famous master swordsman on death row known as “Blade Dragon.”
- Yamada Asaemon Fuchi: The executioner assigned to Gantetsusai. She has a blond bob cut, a high level of medical knowledge, and is ranked ninth in the Yamada Asaemon hierarchy.
- Yamada Asaemon Shion: The executioner assigned to Akaginu. He is blind and ranked fourth in the Yamada Asaemon hierarchy.
- Nurugai: A young death row criminal and member of the Sanka people.
- Yamada Asaemon Tenza: The executioner assigned to Nurugai. He is ranked 10th in the Yamada Asaemon hierarchy.
- Yamada Asaemon Senta: The executioner assigned to Yuzuriha. He is chubby, wears glasses, and is ranked fifth in the Yamada Asaemon hierarchy.
- Mei: A mysterious little girl who lives on the island.
- Yamada Asaemon Shugen: The leader of the second team sent to acquire the elixir after the Shogunate becomes impatient with the first. He is ranked second in the Yamada Asaemon hierarchy.
- Yamada Asaemon Eizen
- Yamada Asaemon Kishō
- Yamada Asaemon Genji
Hell’s Paradise: Jigokuraku Voice Actor
Here is a list of the voice actors and actresses for the main characters in the anime adaptation of Jigokuraku:
- Gabimaru – voiced by Chiaki Kobayashi
- Yamada Asaemon Sagiri – voiced by Yumiri Hanamori
- Yuzuriha – voiced by Rie Takahashi
- Aza Chōbei – voiced by Ryōhei Kimura
- Yamada Asaemon Tōma – voiced by Kensho Ono
- Tamiya Gantetsusai – voiced by Tetsu Inada
- Yamada Asaemon Fuchi – voiced by Aoi Ichikawa
- Yamada Asaemon Shion – voiced by Chikahiro Kobayashi
- Nurugai – voiced by Makoto Koichi
- Yamada Asaemon Tenza – voiced by Yūsuke Kobayashi
- Yamada Asaemon Senta – voiced by Daiki Yamashita
Additionally, Mei is portrayed by Rio Sawada and Aoba Kо̄jо̄, while Yamada Asaemon Shugen, Yamada Asaemon Eizen, Yamada Asaemon Kishō, and Yamada Asaemon Genji are yet to be voiced in the anime adaptation.
Hell’s Paradise: Jigokuraku Manga
The manga has been highly successful, selling over 4 million copies as of December 2022. It was also the most popular series on Shōnen Jump+ in August 2018 and has consistently sold well, with several volumes selling over 20,000 copies in their first week.
The series has received critical acclaim, with praise for its artwork, characters, and intricate plot. It was ranked 11th in the Web Manga Category of the 2018 Next Manga Awards and was listed as one of the best manga series for male readers in the 2019 edition of Kono Manga ga Sugoi!
|No.||Original release date||Original ISBN||English release date||English ISBN||Chapters|
|1||April 4, 2018||978-4-08-881471-1||March 17, 2020||978-1-9747-1320-2||Chapters 1–6|
|2||June 4, 2018||978-4-08-881502-2||May 19, 2020||978-1-9747-1321-9||Chapters 7–16|
|3||August 3, 2018||978-4-08-881546-6||July 21, 2020||978-1-9747-1322-6||Chapters 17–26|
|4||November 2, 2018||978-4-08-881601-2||September 15, 2020||978-1-9747-1323-3||Chapters 27–36|
|5||March 4, 2019||978-4-08-881697-5||November 17, 2020||978-1-9747-1324-0||Chapters 37–46|
|6||June 4, 2019||978-4-08-881803-0||January 19, 2021||978-1-9747-1325-7||Chapters 47–56|
|7||September 4, 2019||978-4-08-882056-9||March 16, 2021||978-1-9747-1877-1||Chapters 57–66|
|8||December 4, 2019||978-4-08-882148-1||May 18, 2021||978-1-9747-1878-8||Chapters 67–76|
|9||March 4, 2020||978-4-08-882230-3||July 20, 2021||978-1-9747-1530-5||Chapters 77–86|
|10||June 4, 2020||978-4-08-882338-6||September 21, 2021||978-1-9747-2099-6||Chapters 87–96|
|11||September 4, 2020||978-4-08-882407-9||November 16, 2021||978-1-9747-2282-2||Chapters 97–106|
|12||December 4, 2020||978-4-08-882523-6||January 18, 2022||978-1-9747-2464-2||Chapters 107–116|
|13||April 30, 2021||978-4-08-882583-0||March 15, 2022||978-1-9747-2851-0||Chapters 117–127|
Hell’s Paradise: Jigokuraku is a blend of action, fantasy, and psychological elements that has been highly praised by both fans and critics. The series follows the story of Gabimaru, a death row inmate, who is sent to an island inhabited by supernatural creatures in search of the elixir of immortality. Along the way, he meets Sagiri, a ninja who is also searching for the elixir. The two develop a complex relationship as they navigate the island’s dangers and confront their pasts.
Overall, Hell’s Paradise: Jigokuraku is a highly successful and acclaimed manga series that has captivated readers with its unique blend of action, fantasy, and psychological elements.