Fruits Basket is an anime remake of Natsuki Takaya’s manga of the same name. TMS Entertainment produced the anime series, which Yoshide Ibata directs.
Fruits Basket is the narrative of Tohru Honda, an orphan girl who learns from Yuki, Kyo, and Shigure Soma that 13 members of the Soma family have been cursed by the Chinese Zodiac animals and are cursed to transform into their animal forms when they are weak, stressed, or embraced by anyone of the opposite sex who is not possessed by a Zodiac spirit.
The name of a popular game played in Japanese elementary schools, which is referenced to in the series, inspired the series title. On November 19th, 2018, the series was first announced, and it premiered on TV Tokyo on April 6th, 2019. The series is available on both Crunchyroll and Funimation, with Funimation owning the home media rights.
Slice of life
|Written by||Natsuki Takaya|
|Directed by||Yoshide Ibata|
|Original Network||TV Tokyo, TV Osaka|
|Original Run||April 6th , 2019 – June 28th 2021|
|Episodes||25 (1st Season)
25 ( 2nd Season)
13 ( 3rd Season )
Tohru Honda is a clumsy High Schooler whose life turns completely upside down after a catastrophic family disaster, and she attempts to be self-sufficient by moving out into a tent. Unfortunately for her, she decides to build her new home on private land owned by the mysterious Soma clan, and it doesn’t take long for the owners to figure out what she’s up to. But, as Tohru discovers, the Somas have a secret of their own: when they are touched by the opposite sex, they transform into animals from the Chinese Zodiac. However, this curse has a long history of abuse, exclusion, anxiety, and agony, and has broken many of Soma’s hearts. Tohru, despite this, continues to try to save the soma’s hearts one by one, freeing them from the terrible curse that binds them to self-destruction.
Cast & Characters
- Manaka Iwami plays Tohru Honda
- Nobunaga Shimazaki plays Yuki Soma
- Yuma Uchida plays Kyo Soma
- Yuichi Nakamura plays Shigure Soma
- Atsumi Tanezaki plays Arisa Uotani
- Satomi Sato plays Saki Hanajima
- Rie Kugimiya plays Kagura Soma
- Megumi Han plays Momiji Soma
- Takahiro Sakurai plays Ayame Soma
- Kazuyuki Okitsu plays Hatori Soma
- Makoto Furukawa plays Hatsuhara Soma
- Reina Ueda Plays Kisa Soma
- Yo Taichi plays Hiro Soma
- Kengo Kawanishi plays Ritsu Soma
- Maaya Sakamoto plays Akito Soma
- Miyuki Sawashiro plays Kyoko Honda
- Toshiyuki Morikawa plays Kazuma Soma
- Aki Toyosaki plays Isuzu Soma
- Ai Orikasa plays Ren Soma
- Akira Ishida plays Akira Soma