The Shibuya Incident Arc is the 6th story arc in the Jujutsu Kaisen manga series by Gege Akutami. It spans from chapters 83 to 152 and has been adapted into the second season of the Jujutsu Kaisen anime.
Considered by many as the epitome of modern Shounen, the arc follows the Shibuya Incident which changed the Jujutsu world forever on October 31st, 2018.
While we could often become distracted from the brutal world of Jujutsu Kaisen due to its comedic elements, this arc makes us painfully aware of it while presenting us with the major stakes for each and every character.
Shibuya Incident Arc Explained
Spoiler content goes here
Shibuya Incident Arc Wiki
|Chapter 79 – 136
|Season Part 2
|Impact on Story
Shibuya Incident Arc Storyline
From the start, the tone is set for how the storyline will proceed as we see a brutal battle between Mahito and Kokichi due to the former having received all the information he needed, which finally reveals that Kokichi/Mechamaru was a mole in the Jujutsu Sorcerers. In the end, we see a fatally wounded Kokichi after which we see Miwa who is unaware of the proceedings wishing to get closer to Mechamaru. With this, we are teased of the world of pain awaiting us as this arc continues.
On October 31st, Cursed Spirits and Curse users led by Geto and Mahito commence their plan to seal Gojo by casting a large screen around Shibuya. When trapped civilians demand Gojo arrive in their panic, he finally enters the bottom floor only to be greeted by Hanami, Jogo, and Choso.
While they are believed to be at an advantage due to the humans they had as a hostage, we are shown how cold-blooded Gojo could be as he attacks them without regard for his surroundings and kills Hanami.
While chasing after Jogo, Gojo is stunned by a prison realm meant to trap him. A moment of wavering due to seeing an old friend who was meant to be dead costs him heavily as Geto seals Gojo away. At a similar time, several operations to rescue Gojo Satoru are carried out as we see Itadori team up with several capable sorcerers from Mei Mei to Megumi to defeat curse users.
When Nanami and Maki are struggling against Dagon, we also see Toji make a return by possessing someone’s body. While the Jujutsu Sorcerers are being overwhelmed and the situation looks dire, Itadori consumes Sukuna’s finger which causes him to awaken.
We then see Jogo suffer yet another beat down, but this time at the hands of Sukuna. Right when the battle looks like it’s about to end with a pitiful Yuji lamenting over the destruction he’s caused, we see Mahito play around with his emotions yet again. While they’re battling, Mahito kills Nanami right in front of Yuji’s eyes. In his rage, he continues attacking, however, to add salt to his wounds, when Nobara joined him in his attack, he uses his idle transfiguration technique and attacks Nobara fatally.
A dishearted Itadori plans to resign to his fate when Todo arrives and restores his fighting spirit. Together they defeat Mahito and right before Yuji could exorcise him, Geto intervenes and absorbs his “comrade”. Having achieved his objective, the arc concludes as he escapes with the Prison Realm while leaving the sorcerers chasing after him stunned and in disbelief at the events that just transpired.
With the many twists, battles, and heartbreaks, irreparable damage has been done to several characters as we see the series take a darker tone for all events from this point.
Shibuya Incident Arc Battles & Events
The Shibuya Incident is a major arc in the Jujutsu Kaisen manga and anime series. Here is an outline of the battles and events that take place during the arc, along with their outcomes:
- Kokichi Muta vs. Mahito: Mahito narrowly defeats Kokichi and Mechamaru Mode: Absolute.
- The Shibuya Incident: Pseudo-Geto’s plan is successful. Satoru Gojo is sealed and all twenty-three wards of Tokyo are abandoned, left to be a haven for cursed spirits.
- Satoru Gojo vs. Jogo, Hanami, Choso & Mahito: Satoru Gojo exorcises Hanami and a thousand Transfigured Humans. Jogo, Choso, and Mahito buy enough time for Pseudo-Geto to activate Prison Realm and seal Satoru.
- Yuji Itadori vs. Grasshopper Curse: Yuji exorcises the Grasshopper Curse and breaks the commissioned curtain it was guarding.
- Takuma Ino vs. Ogami & Her Grandson: Toji Zenin completely decimates Ino with a barrage of punches.
- Yuji & Megumi vs. Awasaka: Yuji and Megumi work together to defeat Awasaka. They break the curtains he was protecting, which prevented sorcerers from entering Shibuya Station.
- Mei Mei vs. Niji Ebina: Mei Mei effortlessly defeats Ebina.
- Nobara & Nanami vs. Shigemo: Nanami brutally beats Shigemo into submission.
- Mei Mei & Ui Ui vs. Smallpox Deity: Mei Mei successfully exorcises the Smallpox Deity with her brother’s help.
- Yuji Itadori vs. Choso: Choso defeats Yuji after a hard-fought battle. An invasive memory of an event that never happened stops Choso from finishing him off.
- Jujutsu Sorcerers vs. Dagon: Toji takes over the fight and easily exorcises the special-grade cursed spirit.
- Megumi Fushiguro vs. Toji Fushiguro: Toji commits suicide to end the séance in order rescue his son from certain death.
- Sukuna vs. Jogo: Sukuna defeats Jogo without suffering a single hit. He admits Jogo is strong and exorcises him in a blaze of glory.
- Sukuna vs. Mahoraga: Sukuna defeats Mahoraga after deducing how its adaptability works. This puts an end to Megumi’s exorcism ritual, allowing Sukuna to preserve the young sorcerer’s life for his own future plans.
- Yuji & Nobara vs. Mahito: Aoi Todo takes over the battle, rescuing Yuji and restoring his fighting spirit.
- Yuji & Aoi vs. Mahito: Yuji defeats Mahito once and for all with Todo’s support.
- Jujutsu Sorcerers & Choso vs. Pseudo-Geto & Uraume: Yuki Tsukumo interrupts the battle before Uraume can kill the sorcerers and Choso. Pseudo-Geto and Uraume escape with Prison Realm.
Shibuya Incident Arc All Deaths
- Kokichi Muta – killed by Mahito.
- Mechamaru Mode: Absolute – destroyed by Mahito.
- Satoru Gojo – sealed by Pseudo-Geto.
- Hanami – exorcised by Satoru Gojo.
- A thousand Transfigured Humans – exorcised by Satoru Gojo.
- Toji Zenin – killed Takuma Ino, then committed suicide to end the séance and rescue his son from certain death.
- Dagon – exorcised by Toji Fushiguro.
- Jogo – defeated and exorcised by Sukuna.
- Mahoraga – defeated and exorcised by Sukuna.
- Mahito – defeated and exorcised by Yuji Itadori with the help of Aoi Todo.
- Toji Fushiguro Jogo Muta Kokichi (Mechamaru) Kento Nanami Masamichi Yaga Mai Zenin