Tōshirō Hitsugaya is one of the important characters in Bleach. He is the captain of the Gotei 13’s 10th Division. Rangiku Matsumoto is his lieutenant. He formerly served as the 10th Division’s 3rd Seat under Isshin Shiba.
Toshiro is a short human with turquoise eyes and short, spiky white hair that attracts notice in the Human World. He’s dressed in a sleeveless captain’s haori with a green sash around his shoulders and a round, star-like clip holding it all together. The sash is connected to his Zanpakut sheath at both ends and keeps it in position on his back.
Toshiro’s hair looks to have grown longer after practicing for an unknown amount of time in preparation to face the Wandenreich, his fringe now reaching down to his eyes while being held up by a freshly acquired bandanna. His robes are carelessly hanging off of his body tabi, and he appears lankier than before.
In contrast to his free-spirited subordinate, Rangiku Matsumoto, Hitsugaya is normally mature and serious. Despite their differences in personality, he and Rangiku appear to be quite close, as she is prepared to carry out Hitsugaya’s orders for vital duties on the field. Others messing off or bringing unnecessary attention to themselves irritate Hitsugaya.
He works quite hard, but his motivation appears to be that if he finishes fast, he will be able to resume his afternoon nap, as he intends to progress swiftly with this in mind.
Many of the other Shinigami in Soul Society, as well as his opponents, joke about Hitsugaya, but he tolerates them and goes about his job.
Master Swordsman: Hitsugaya is a master swordsman who can use his size to skillfully counter and outmaneuver his opponents. His swordsmanship is demonstrated by the fact that he is the youngest Shinigami captain, making him one of the youngest Shinigami to attain Bankai. His swordsmanship is so good that he rarely utilizes his Shikai in battle, despite the fact that he is a master at it. Instead, he uses Hyorinmaru’s sealed form, only summoning Shikai or Bankai when the going gets difficult.
- Kidō Expert: Hitsugaya is highly proficient in Kidō, and is capable of performing high-level Kidō spells without incantation. For example, during his battle with Hyōrinmaru, he used a level 63 binding spell without incantation.
- Shunpo Expert: Hitsugaya is highly proficient in Shunpo. Repeatedly in battle, he is able to block and dodge dangerous attacks.
- Hakuda Combatant: Though usually relying upon his Zanpakutō in combat, Hitsugaya was able to knock out a grief-fueled Hinamori with a single blow, while in mid-air.
- Zanpakuto: As an elemental representative of ice, Toshiro’s spiritual strength has the same impact as his Zanpakuto. His Spiritual Pressure is described as “heavy”, “harsh” and “cold.” He is also the youngest Shinigami to gain Bankai status.
- Shikai Special Ability: Hyorinmaru may summon a swarm of ice dragons to attack an opponent from all sides. Hitsugaya may also use the chain blade to trap things. Its strength is so great that in Soul Society where Hitsugaya is not restrained, just releasing it causes a thunderstorm or blizzard in the nearby area.
- Enhanced Endurance: Despite his young and frail appearance, Toshiro is a tough opponent. He fought Shawlong Koufang’s strikes with only 20% of his normal strength.